Louisiana Driver’s License Identification
All applicants applying for the Louisiana driver’s license or identification card must provide proof of the following:
- Evidence of lawful status in the United States
- Date of birth
- Social security number
- At least two (2) documents demonstrating address of principal residence
NOTE: Initial issuance of Real ID driver’s licenses and Identification cards can only be processed at Motor Vehicles field offices and certain municipal PTA’s.
Documents to Establish Identity and Lawful Status
A United States citizen shall provide at least one of the following to establish the applicant identify and lawful status in order to obtain the Louisiana Driver’s License or Identification Card :
- A valid, unexpired United States passport or passport card.
- Original birth certificate or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state of the United States
“State” includes the District of Columbia (Washington, D.C.), the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, Puerto Rico, or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. However, birth certificates from Puerto Rico must be certified as being issued on or after July 1, 2010.
- Consular report of birth abroad issued by the United States Department of State, Form FS-240, DS-1350, or FS-545.
- Certificate of naturalization issued by the Department of Homeland Security, Form N-550 or N-570.
- Certificate of citizenship, Form N-560 or N-561, issued by the Department of Homeland Security.
A person who is not a citizen of the United States shall provide proof of identity and proof of lawful status. In some instances, proof of identity and proof of lawful status may be provided with the same document. OMV will only issue a driver’s license in a name that exactly matches the original immigration document.
|First Immigration Document (For proof of identity)||Second Immigration Document (For Proof of Lawful Status)|
|Unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. Visa (Immigration status A, B, E, H, I, L, O, P, Q, R, or S)||Valid I-94 or I-797A Notice of Action|
|Unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. Visa (Immigration Status F-1, F-2, J-1, J-2, M-1 or M-2)||I-20 (for F-1, F-2, M-1, or M-2 status) or DS-2019 (for J-1 or J-2 status) accompanied by Valid I-94 or I-797A Notice of Action|
|I-766 with category code: C08||Second document not required|
|I-766 with temporary protections status||Second document not required|
|I-766 without a temporary protection status||Unexpired foreign passport|
|I-766 with category codes: C09, C10, C18, & A11||Proof of pending application to adjust status – I-797C Notice of Action with Case Types I-485, I-881 or Executive Office of Immigration Review (EOIR 42B). In some cases, other documentation issued by USCIS, DHS, or other federal agencies may be acceptable to demonstrate lawful status as defined by 6 C.F.R. 37.3 and determined by USCIS.|
|I-551 or I-551 Stamp with a photo on I-94 form||Second document not required|
|I-551 Stamp||Unexpired foreign passport|
Documents to Establish Date of Birth
- To establish the date of birth, an applicant must present at least one document required to establish his or her identity (above) that contains his or her date of birth and name.
- A birth certificate issued from a state within the United States would contain applicant’s name, date of birth and prove lawful status. This would cover the first three requirements for Real ID.
Social Security Information
Social Security information must be verified with the Social Security Administration and the applicant must present one document with his or her name and Social Security Number. It is not sufficient to verbally provide a Social Security number.
- Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles utilizes Social Security Online Verification (SSOLV) to verify the Social Security information with the Social Security Administration.
- The following list contains acceptable documents of social security verification:
- Social Security Card. There is no substitute for this document.
- W-2 Tax Form with applicant’s name and full or partial Social Security Number.
- SSA-1099 with applicant’s name and full or partial Social Security Number.
- A non-SSA 1099 form with applicant’s name and full or partial Social Security Number.
- A pay stub with the applicant’s name and full or partial Social Security Number.
Documents Demonstrating Address of Principal Residence
- An applicant must present 2 original documents which include his name and Louisiana street address.
- The two documents must be from separate/independent sources. For example, a bank account statement for two differing statement periods is NOT acceptable.
- The applicant can cross out non-essential information on the Proof of Principle Residence documents (i.e., account numbers, financial figures, or other non identifying information).
Examples of acceptable documents for proof of residency:
- Utility bill for services installed at the applicant’s residential address (i.e., water, sewer, gas, electric, cable/satellite TV, internet, telephone/cell phone, or garbage collection).
- Financial statement (i.e., bank/credit union account, investment account, credit card account, or loan/credit financing).
- Applicant’s unexpired Louisiana driver’s license, permit or identification card that shows his current principle residence.
- Employer verification, including, but not limited to, one of the following:
– Paycheck or paycheck stub.
– Letter from your employer on company letterhead.
– W-2 for earnings issued.
– Military orders issued.
- A Louisiana driver’s license, permit or identification card issued to the applicant’s parent, guardian, spouse or other immediate family member residing in the same household. The immediate family member must be present and provide his Louisiana driver’s license, permit or identification card in person.
- Health insurance statement or explanation of benefits (EOB) for claim or a health care bill/invoice.
- State of Louisiana or Federal income tax return or refund check.
- Social Security documentation including Social Security Annual Statement, Numerical Identification System record, or Social Security check.
- School record or transcript, report card, or student loan application.
- Homeowners insurance policy or premium bill.
- Mortgage, payment coupon, deed, escrow statement or property tax bill.
- Voter Registration card.
- Auto-Insurance Policy with applicant’s name and address.
- Unexpired Firearms License (Gun Permit).
- I-797A issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.
- I-797C issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.
- Refugee Address Verification Affidavit (DS-20).
- Current, valid, rental contract/agreement and/or rent payment receipts (includes rental agreement/leases for a home, apartment, mobile home, dorm, extended stay motel, retirement/assisted living home, or a letter from a shelter)
NOTE: If the Department of Public Safety and Corrections obtained copies or images of personal identifying source documents from an applicant between July 7, 2008 and June 14, 2016, those documents are required be removed and purged from the Department’s and the Department’s contractors databases and systems upon the applicant’s request. If the applicant’s photo was obtained by the Department between July 7, 2008 and June 14, 2016, and is in the possession of a contractor of the Department, that picture is required to be purged from the database and system of that contractor upon the applicant’s. An applicant can call 225-925-6146 in order to request either or both of these actions be taken.
NOTE: Upon request of any applicant for a REAL ID compliant driver’s license or identification card, the department is required to document and retain the applicant’s name, date of birth, certificate numbers, date filed, and issuing agency instead of retaining an image or copy of the applicant’s birth certificate.
Practice with the Louisiana Practice Test